Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Look Who's Hanging Around The Sewing Room



Waiting patiently for an awesome hair do and a hip set of clothes. I had a few hours last night of down time and was lonely in my sewing room so, I made "Honey." I named her that because she is pretty sweet. Now I will have some one to talk to while in my sewing room alone. At least that way when one of kids walk in and asks, "mom, who are you talking to?" I won't have to say, "myself." I can said, "I was chatting with Honey." I know it makes them a bit uneasy when they hear me talking to myself, especially when I answer back. LOL

I had been wanting to get my hands on one of these Waldorf dolls but they are a true hot commodity. I just don't have a trigger finger that can compete with some of these online shoppers and I never could get one into a shopping cart so, I decided to research making them and see if I could make one. I've made dolls in the past so, I thought it may be great fun.


After sifting through a few web sites, I ran across a blog called Echoes of a Dream and found the basic construction directions and took the gal's suggestion from there and ordered a kit from Weir Dolls. That was a very smart thing to do. I ordered the 16" kit and with in a couple of days it was here. Trying to find just the right types of materials can be a bit time consuming and not being certain exactly constitutes a true Waldorf doll, the kit was the best idea.

The kit came with everything one needs to construct the doll except for a doll sculpting needle. I recommend getting a very long sturdy needle. When ordering the kit, there were many options from selecting the hair, fabric flesh tones to having your body pre-sewn and even pre-constructed heads. Each option was a small extra fee. I wanted to make mine from scratch. The kit contained bobbins of flesh colored thread, embroider threads for the eyes and mouth and the sclupting floss, stuffing and body fabric. The floss used for sclupting the head is durable and strong. I would like to find out what type of floss that is. It would be handy to have in the sewing room for other projects too. It is totally unbreakable and just what is needed for sculpting the head. The directions were very easy to follow and only a few lines left me in doubt. So, I went to the web and looked at a few construction sites such as the Echoes of a Dream and The Silver Penny. Both places really simplified things for me.

Let me say before I continue, "my hat's off to the gals who make these and sell them on line!" Yes they are a very simple doll to make but with all the sculpting and hand stitching, it is a very time consuming project. These gals who are making these and selling them on line sure earn their price. I think it took me about 4 hours to make my gal, keeping in mind, that is without the hair added. Personally for me, I didn't think that was too bad though, since I had never made one of these dolls before. I also too probably spent too much time admiring, the sculpting and plumping process of the head. I guess that is the artist in me.

It was so much fun to make the Waldorf doll. I don't have any plans of making very many of these in the future. I do have a feeling if my new sewing room friend is to remain in my sewing room, two more of these sweeties will have to be made. No way will Doodles and Buggy leave Mamaw's pal alone in that sewing room. "She would get lonely." I do think it will be fun to make a couple more for the grandkids and then just put the pattern away and see what the future holds for the family. Mamaw, may need to make some more someday, (fingers secertly crossed).

I am looking forward to making clothes for my new little one. The patterns for making basic clothing were included in the kit. I can't wait to make her a bright colored outfit and finish her hair. It should be great fun and maybe will help me practice my sewing skills on a smaller scale. When sewing a few baby sizes recently, I became a bit sad. I really starting thinking how big my munchkins have become and so quickly. You lucky mom's and grand parents who still have little ones under foot, slow down and enjoy them. You'll blink and they will be grown. I need to spend more time with my not so little people before they are all grown up. We are going to have dinner with them tonight, I can't wait. OK, I got off track there.

I'll share the few photos of Honey during her transition. One thing that I did realize after finishing her and then looking back at photos of other's bodies, I overstuffed her chest/neck area. Next ones for the gkids will be stuffed properly.

The construction of the head at first glance was a bit iffy but following along closely step by step, this is what happens.


The stocking knit tube that comes in the kit for the inner stuffing of the head is so durable. When I first opened it, I didn't think it would be that strong. It really has lots of strength. I would love to know more about this stuff to for making other types of doll heads.

For me the real fun part was stretching the 9X9 square of fabric over the sculpted head and seeing the face really start coming to life.


Folding and pinning like this made the tiny stitching so easy. I used a tiny quilting needle to close up the fabric up the back of the head and neck. I know that I didn't quiet do it as the instructions showed; however, folding it for me like this seem to cut down on the overall blulk in the scalp area. I did trim some of the excess off before I started turning and stitching.


I was very pleased with the stitches. I started thinking, I may have missed my calling. Maybe I would have been a better surgeon. Just kidding, I get a bit fuzzy even at the sight of my own blood.

I think I will make the crocheted crown cover before I do add the hair. I just like the idea of all this being covered.



The head was fun. I enjoyed making it. I just love the little button nose. I was very happy with how it turned out.


Now she just needs a little blush on those cheeks.



The body well, I have room for improvement there. Overstuffing at the shoulder area isn't a good idea. When making the ones for the gkids, I'll keep that in mind.



When I finished stuffing and she was complete, I almost wanted to use a few sculpting tricks I had learned when I was in my teens from sculpting Cabbage Patch babies, before they became Cabbage Patch babies, and that was to make a nice set of little buns and knee and elbow dimples. I didn't do that though because I thought I would hold the doll true to the Waldorf construction directions. I can always add them later if I want to.

Making this doll sure reminded me of how much I do love doll making. It is one art form that can be so time consuming but the end results are always rewarding, much like the same feeling I experience when I finish a painting.

I do have a very special one of a kind sculpted art doll that I will share photos of one of these days. He needs a few special pieces of clothing and accessories to complete him. He is a real treasure. He is hanging out in my sewing room too. I'll share him soon.

If you are considering making one of the Waldorf dolls I say, "go for it!" Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I love trying to make new things. This was a fun craft.

Until next time, blessings and hugs to you all!

Oh, stop by the online store front and give us some feed back. Lily Field Designs. We would love to hear any and all suggestions. Thanks for those of you who have already pointed out a few things and areas of concern. We have corrected those. We have many new products lined up and on it's way. Now that this process is beind us, on to some more entertaining work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Now

clothesbarforbloghorizonal